Re: Topband: 8 circle: DXE vs Hi-Z

To: "'David Raymond'" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, "'Don Moman VE6JY'" <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>, "'Topband@Contesting. Com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 8 circle: DXE vs Hi-Z
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:08:31 -0500
Hi David and Don

I understand your point. Gain is cheap and quite easy to get with a good low
noise amplifier, but to keep the common mode noise out of it is very
expensive, and could be very complicated. The beverages are very forgiveness
and does not requires much amplification. It is an ideal antenna.

The noise measured  at 500Hz BW on my TX antenna, varies from average -90
dB, when I do not have power line noise to -100 dB few mornings during
winter. The noise floor from my HWF is - 120dB (500Hz BW) after a 43db gain
preamp (.5dB NF).   I have no space for beverages and my station with all
antennas uses only  150ft  x 100ft. Using 100 Hz BW the noise floor drops to
-145dB during the day. Connecting the HWF  on the 43db  gain increase the
noise only 0.2db , you can't hear the increase of noise, I measured it with
QS1R SDR, basically the noise  is below the sensitivity of the receiver.

I can hear very well on 160m. not bragging but just for reference, 4W6, 9M0,
9M4,9M2, HS, DU, XU, and other very weak signals logged in 160 since 2006.
Doug worked 292 and I worked 275 on 160m from city lot. The new stuff works.
But as I said, it is very expensive.  Also the implementation  was not
possible without the information shared by K9YC, W8JI, and others how to
control common mode noise, grounding, shielding and best practices. The list
of MUST do things to implement the new stuff is very long

The signal above noise is there at the RX array, to bring it at the station
and amplify only the signal coming from the RX array without adding common
mode noise is very touch. Here is a sort list of must do things

1- Detune all resonant antenna, feed line, rotor cable tower, any metal
thing over 90 ft. long .
2- Ground everything at  the tower, outside the shack, and in the shack
3- Choke every single cable that enter your radio system, including the
preamp. 100's of toroid's is quite common, and few toxoids does not get the
job done.
4-All electronics'  must be shielded with steel boxes, aluminum does not cut
magnetic field  and does not help below -120dB noise floor. If possible run
all cables inside galvanized grounded water pipes or hot deep galvanized
conduit.
5- All cable inside the tower and grounded at the top and at the bottom
6- NO ground loop with the AC lines, isolation transformer and one point
ground for the system, your house wires is an effective way to drive noise
into the RX system.

A good RDF RX antenna does not fix the issues above. There is no allowance
here, all points above can deteriorate your RX signal to noise ratio. Using
Horizontal antenna does help a lot with interaction with TX antennas but do
not eliminate the common mode nose or ground loops problems.

Even a single flag is complicated because the feed line can introduce common
mode noise, and turn the flag into a loaded vertical. There is only two
solution, choke the line overkilling the common mode noise , or use
unshielded 100 ohms twisted pair cable. See T6LG results on his web page,
only after replacing the coax with twisted pair he was able to work 100's of
DX from a military base in YA on 160m.

The results using the new RX system varies form excellent to a perfect
disaster depending on the points above.

73's N4IS
JC