Re: Topband: 8 circle: DXE vs Hi-Z

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Bob Tabke'" <bob@onehorsecreek.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 8 circle: DXE vs Hi-Z
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:52:57 -0800
Hi Guys,
 Excellent point Tom as we will have to disagree on this. I have built both
types of arrays here and like the smaller circle with active elements. I
believe it has a "cleaner" pattern.
  You can see a 3D picture  comparison of several arrays at
"http://www.kkn.net/dayton2014/dayton-2014-antenna-forum.html"; starting at
page 11 There are some real differences between 8 element passive BSEF and
the Hi-Z 8A npatterns. Receiving antennas are all about hearing what you
want and getting rid of what you don't want. I think the 3D pictures show
this pretty well. We almost never design RX antennas for gain, only how it
receives which is mostly about pattern or directivity.
   The observations by Joel will indeed be interesting, These two antennas
are VERY close in performance and I think the differences will be
interesting, who knows, it may spur the development of something new.
 Go Joel!
Lee   K7TJR