Re: Topband: Silver solder

To: "'Mike Waters'" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver solder
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 20:04:08 -0500
My whole buried radial system uses this type of silver solder to connect the
ground radials which are 1/2 in. copper tubing between ground rods.  Each
ground rod radial is also soldered to the Rohn tower base plate.  It has
been in over 20 years and no noticeable deterioration.  I agree with the
comment about using flux not incorporated into the silver solder.

Jim - KR9U
_______________

With hard silver solder --the kind that melts at a red heat-- an
oxyacetylene torch with a #4 or smaller tip works just fine. Just keep the
flame size down, and/or turn down the oxygen a little for a carburizing
flame*.
This is similar to brazing, but brazing is much hotter and uses a
silver-free brass alloy as a filler material.

Use that opaque white borax-type silver solder flux, which is applied to the
silver solder by heating the solder a little bit below its melting point,
and then dipping the hot solder into the flux to coat it. Or, you can buy
silver solder already coated; but IMO, it's not as good.

I use MAPP gas and oxygen to silver solder nowadays, because it's all I have
here right now.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com