Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 08:14:46 -0500
For many years my wife's treadmill caused strong interference on 160 meters
when it was in use, and yesterday I was able to completely eliminate the
RFI using a combination of two different filters (a commercial line filter
that provides both common mode and differential mode filtering, and 14
turns of the power cord on a 2.4" OD Fair-Rite #31 mix toroid core based on
the K9YC hams guide to RFI document).

I created a simple website that documents my tests and the filters used,
and for those interested the website URL is
http://sites.google.com/site/treadmillrfi/

The website contains a link to a video on youtube where you can actually
see the effectiveness of the filters.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)