Re: Topband: EP6T and outside world

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: EP6T and outside world
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:27:31 -0000
Hello Gary
I got to listen first time for EP6T on 160 early Monday evening Jan 19. It was
just before their sunrise. I could hardly hear them, but at times they would
peak up to about 539, so a QSO was possible. They definitely peaked at sunrise.
They were not hearing any northeast USA stations even though many were calling.
Many times they came back to a wall of callers with another CQ or they worked
an EU or Russian. I wonder if possibly my antenna is not aimed so good for
EP6T. I was only hearing them on my EU beverage. It is aimed at 45 degrees and
is over 1000 ft long They were inaudible on the vertical alone,  Nil on the JA/
Brazil wire (un terminated). I do not have a beverage that aims east or
southeast. I am not sure what the best heading would be with skewed paths etc.
etc. but so far, it looks like EP6T will be tough to get on 160 for me. I did
hear a few jammers, and from the strength I would say the jammers I heard were
in the USA. I don't understand that. What ever happene
 d to the Amateur's code?  I guess some people hate contests with a vengeance,
and then some must hate DXing with equal malice, but that is no reason for such
bad behavior. I guess it means that basically the world is doomed and we are in
a death spiral towards utter mayhem and murder. I wonder if there is this much
aggression and psychotic behavior evident in stamp collecting?  I'll try EP6T
again. Condx have been poor on 160 of late. Maybe it will get better?
Dave K1WHS
Message: 16