Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

To: <n0tt1@juno.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 12:49:28 -0700
I don't remember the article, Charlie, but that's a fabulous idea, and at
first blush it doesn't sound all that hard to implement. One way might be to
set up three receivers at different locations, each with a 10 MHz GPS or
rubidium time base (both inexpensive and readily available.). For each
receiver, a simple frequency divider could produce a pulse every 100
milliseconds from the time base. The pulse would trigger a frequency
counter, which would then count the elapsed time from the ttrigger pulse
until the DQRM signal started transmitting (or stopped transmitting -
doesn't matter which).  Once the differences in elapsed times were known
between the three receivers, the DQRM signal could be accurately
triangulated. Sounds ike a fun project. Sure wish we'd had something like
that for the Navassa DQRM jerks.
73,
Jim W8ZR