Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: Charlie <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 12:41:04 -0600
Technological advances have consequences.  With remote operation, most of the
consequences are positive.  These positive consequences have been well stated.
There are also some negative consequences.  On balance, the good outweighs the
bad, but the downside should be recognized.

Generally what someone else does with radio does not impact me or my enjoyment,
unless they get their kicks by throwing 40 over carriers on the DX.  I don't
care if folks use code readers, chat rooms, cluster spots to find DX or
whatever.  In fact, I use all the modern tools myself (except code readers-
thankfully I can still hear).  To focus this on Topband, consider the following
scenario:

A theoretical station in Maine, WX1XXX, has invested in a full size 160M four
square and has multiple rx antennas, including 8 circles and beverages.  The
odds of propagation favoring WX1XXX for a particular expedition, because of the
NE coastal location, are far higher than for anyone even 200 miles inland,
except under unpredictable spotlight condx.  If you consider how well equipped
the station of WX1XXX is, coupled with the prop advantage, he is typically
going to work the dxpedition first in good condx, and may be one of the handful
who can work the DX at all in marginal condx.

WX1XXX working the DX first is all part of the game.  He is a good op who has
expended resources and worked to build a station, in a geographic location,
that results in world class performance on Topband.   No participant in the
game begrudges WX1XXX his QSO.  In fact, we all admire WX1XXX and his station
building/operating ability.

Now say WX1XXX decides to remote his station, so that he can operate from work
or while traveling.  No problem, more power to him.   This is a positive
consequence of the technology.

WX1XXX has a crew who helps with antenna construction and station maintenance.
 Some of these folks don't have well equipped home stations.  WX1XXX decides to
open up his remote station to his helper friends, so they can experience
working DX with a big station.   This is no different than WX1XXX inviting a
friend to his station  for working EP6T.  Such invitations have been extended
forever.  The remote capability removes the inconvenience and cost of the
friend having to travel to the WX1XXX shack.

So far, what WX1XXX has done with the remote has not significantly impacted the
other serious players in the game.
Now WX1XXX decides to sell access to his remote station.   Instead of only
WX1XXX or a few close friends chasing EP6T from this world class station, there
may be 10 to 30 people who feel their best shot at success will come by paying
$$$ to use the WX1XXX station.  Some of these will be on the west coast, maybe
some in the mid west and  even some on the east coast.  Likely, a majority of
these stations lining up for a shot at an EP6T QSO from the WX1XXX superstation
have reasonably well equipped stations at home.  They might have a shot for an
EP6T QSO from home but it is a much longer shot than it will be from WX1XXX.

Human nature being what it is, there will be folks who would pay $$$ to use
WX1XXX for a nearly guaranteed QSO rather than chancing not making one from
their less well equipped or less geographically advantaged location.   The Q is
the most important thing to them, not how the Q is made.  In this paid remote
case, no one is violating the official DXCC rules or the FCC rules but I think
this aspect is what most folks find distasteful.   I could care less what
someone does to make a Q, if it does not impact me personally.  There have
always been folks who have their friends work the DX for them.  There are folks
who run 20 KW.  The paid remote business at least can be said to be legal or
within the rules, not so some of the other practices.   Still, it can have some
negative consequences for the other game players, under some scenarios.

Say there are 30 folks lined up on a chat board waiting their turn to call EP6T
from WX1XXX when the band opens.   The order of calling has been predecided,
perhaps in sequence of log in.   Everything is locked and loaded.   Some of
these openings only last minutes, centered around the DX sunrise.   Some days
the band does not open at all.   At N8RR, I only had one EP6T sunrise opening
and they were workable for perhaps 5 to 8 minutes, max.  I think EP6T only had
30 some odd QSO's during that opening to NA.  I tried, but was not one of the
30 who made it.   Now, I am not saying a remote station was a factor in me not
making a QSO during this short opening.  I was far from being the only one who
did not get a Q with EP6T.   However, if I  take the theoretical scenario  of
WX1XXX having a 30 user list waiting to call EP6T during a five minute opening,
I can reasonably conclude that my chances of a Q are diminished here in WV
using my inverted L and Hi Z triangle rx antenna.

The WX1XXX users don't even need to worry about positioning their TX freq in
the pileup to enhance chances.   They are already positioned on the last QSO TX
freq.  Some of these DX ops don't move their RX freq and some do.  In the case
of EP6T, where they couldn't hear very well, I would guess a loud caller on the
freq of the last station worked would have an excellent chance of being the
next QSO logged.

The serious DX chasers, especially Topband, are faced with a dilemma now.
Anyone  who wants to pay the $$ can be at the head of the line for a rare one
by remoting to a world class station, rather than using his own equipment.
Many will elect to do that.  I will not be one of them.

We should note that paid remotes are not the only potential case where a single
superstation could absorb much of a prime time DX opening.  A remote station
owner, with a wide circle of friends, could invite a large group to work the DX
over his remote station for free.  Likely this already occurs.   If the opening
is only minutes log, this can negatively impact the other game players.
Solutions:  Move to the coast and build a superstation.   Build a superstation
where you are and take your prop chances.   Know and befriend someone who has a
superstation in a geographically favorable area.   Pay your $$$ for access to a
superstation.

It is the $$$ aspect that has the potential for tilting the field in a
significant way.  The genie is out of the bottle.  As with everything else, we
will adjust.

73 Charlie N8RR