Topband: BOGs, Snakes and snowpack

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: BOGs, Snakes and snowpack
From: K2RS <K2RSonline@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:02:56 -0500
When spring finally arrives, I'd like to try a BOG and/or a Snake receive antenna. I live on a half-acre suburban lot and these antennas are doable.

But I have a question about them. Does a substantial snowpack -- let's say a foot or more -- have an effect on the performace of on-the-ground receive antennas like BOGs and Snakes? For the past four winters, we have had at least 12" of snow on the ground from December until March. A couple of years we've had between three and four feet of snowpack throughout the winter.

The BOG and Snake would be in addition to off-the-ground antennas, such as wire loops and magnetic loops, so I would not be relying on them as my only receive antenna.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

73,

Jack   K2RS