Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:14:52 -0500
A monopole will not radiate without a return path for the r-f current flowing into/on it. In the case of a ground-mounted vertical monopole, the first part of that return path is provided by the capacitive coupling of the monopole to the earth around its base. Currents are generated in that region of the earth by radiation from the monopole. For greatest radiation efficiency those currents need to be collected and returned to the antenna/transmit system. *That* is the function of the buried radials.

I don't think a description like that paints an accurate picture of what actually goes on.

There are two things happening at the antenna base:

1.) Any system with a conventional two conductor transmission line, either balanced or unbalanced, needs at least TWO terminals to apply power to the antenna. A monopole antenna requires something for the feedline to "push against". This is an unbendable rule.

2.) If the antenna is near earth, or near any other conductive media, it induces currents in that media. This always happens, this is another unbendable rule. If the media is lossy, we have to either "shield" the media from the antenna to reduce current density in the lossy media, or make the media more conductive (less lossy).

If we follow those two rules, we see how all antennas work.

1.) We see an end-fed antenna of any type, even a half wave or Zepp, without counterpoise, cannot possibly work without some feeder radiation. We either provide it a controlled counterpoise, or it just makes its own counterpoise out of the feedline or things around the feedpoint.

2.) We see any radial or counterpoise system, close to the radial or counterpoise, has to have external fields. Those fields must extend out of the counterpoise, and always cause loss when a counterpoise is near a lossy media.

3.) We see we only mitigate the loss by making current density in the lossy media as low as possible, which generally means spreading the current out as evenly as possible in the lossy media or moving the antenna and a counterpoise away from the lossy media to reduce current.

The picture of something pouring off the antenna that has to be collected and returned certainly has merit when we consider the electric field and displacement currents, but it also paints an incomplete and somewhat misleading picture. It is like using an etch-a-sketch drawing to describe a complex landscape.

73 Tom