Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

To: "'Richard Fry'" <rfry@adams.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 21:23:50 -0500
Richard,

You have just upset the apple cart for me.
For the sake of argument, assume a monopole with a single radial in free
space.  I would assume that this would be a somewhat efficient antenna with
a skewed pattern.  If I add an imperfect ground with the radial buried just
below the ground, I would expect that the efficiency of the antenna would
drop.  NEC4 shows it loses about 10 dB vs. free space, with about 6 dB of
directivity in the direction of the radial wire using average ground.  If I
use dry sandy ground, then we gain back about 3 dB with a very similar
pattern.  I'm not claiming accuracy with NEC4 and ground, but the effect is
as I would expect.  Therefore, if as you indicate that ground currents flow
into the radial wire then the efficiency should increase with a buried
radial due to additional currents flowing into the radial.

If you are correct, then we should all be using uninsulated wires for
radials. ??

Jim - KR9U