Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 03:10:31 -0400
Glenn, If the tower as is, with the top loading on 160 causing it to be long for 80 meters for an easy feed, you can make a simple decoupling sleeve skirt and feed the tower with a gamma rod on 80 meters so the RF then sees a shorter tower. There might be some impact on the 160 meter feed configuration but most likely that would only some retuning of the 160 match. But apart from that the separate 80 meter gamma rod above the decoupling sleeve and finding the sweet "point" without the need for a trap or a dedicated L/C circuit at the base of a tower that appears to long, is one possible solution. In summary just shorten the tower electrically on 80 by a simple decoupling skirt of 4 wires coming down the tower and flaring out at the base as you may require. A fixed or variable capacitor between the coax feed and the gamma rod to remove the inductive reluctance of the rod should be all that is needed. In essence you have then created a coaxial vertical dipole. At the point where the 80 meter feed line leaves the tower near the base, I think most would recommend isolating the feed line with a ferrite ring. I also remember Earl Cunningham K6SE, (SK) did an article on a variation of this some time ago and he seemed pleased with the performance on 80 meters. Earl, I understand, did not employ a skirt but just put an 80 meter gamma rod on the tower used on 160. I think however Earl's tower was a bit shorter and yours as described most likely approaches 1/2 wave on 80 meters. A decoupling 4 wire sleeve changes all that.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ