Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Tower on 80
From: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:22:44 -0500
> "This is why wide broadcast towers, even 1/2 wave tall towers, can have
>reasonably low impedances at the base.²

Agreed.  I have found it very difficult to model accurate complex base Z
measurements of wide broadcast towers (i.e., low height/diam. ratio) that
are of the 180-195 degree variety - even with NEC4.2.   This is one of
NEC¹s more significant limitations.

In some of these cases, lighting systems and any STL transmission lines
play a part in the true base Z.   Still, I routinely get results that show
much higher base Z in the model than actual measured base Z results.

Paul, W9AC