Re: Topband: DXCC Program Integrity

To: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DXCC Program Integrity
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 11:29:13 -0500
This one interesting sentence, made in another thread, may be at the root of
much of the disagreement expressed in the last few days with regards to
DXCC. It does cause one to wonder why the award exists at all. If DXCC only matters to the recipient, why wouldn't their logbook serve the same purpose?
For some, it does. What added gratification does that extra piece of paper
provide? It's not exactly free. What makes the DXCC countries list so
special -- why not use some other list? Why did ARRL go to great pains to
make LoTW more challenging than online banking? Why are individuals
disqualified from the program if the award only affects *them*? Why do we
have card checkers that look for that dot between the "1" and the "8" like
the guy looking for a "hanging chad" with a magnifying glass? Finally, what does it mean for the League to call DXCC the "premier operating award" then turn up their hands and basically say "we can't enforce any of this.... it's
up to you guys"?

Larry K5RK

Larry,

This all just life no matter what we do. If we base our self-worth, or determine the worth of others by what **we** like or what we think they should do, we are destined to be grouchy unhappy people who spend a lot of time making ourselves and others unhappy.

It is this way in car shows, it is this way in automotive racing. It is this way in gaming and in sculpture and art.

The DXCC is the DXCC as the rule written for DXCC apply. If someone does not like the rules as written, they can try to change the rules or go find something else they like better.

In my opinion, and what makes me uncomfortable and ruins the spirit, is trying to disparage others because we don't happen to like the way the rules are written.

As for cheating, which really means breaking a rule (not what we might personally WANT a rule to be), that will always go on. The best we can do is try to minimize it by careful thought.

We seem to be becoming an increasingly angry society who like to not see anyone else having fun. We make extreme statements, invent conspiracies, and intentionally take things out of context just to be whining "drama queens" or professional curmudgeons.

The weirdest part of it all is we worry about and get all dramatic about small meaningless stuff, while we do nothing to rationally work on real problems. I think maybe we are all getting old, and getting some of that infamous Brooklyn syndrome.

73 Tom