Re: Topband: Polyphaser

To: "Art Snapper" <art@nk8x.net>, "Greg Wilson" <n4cc@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Polyphaser
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 18:27:53 -0500
When I test things like that, I high pot them with a home made tester. Things like this are not difficult to make. You can buy a surplus HV power supply used to ionize air for a few bucks, and stick it in a box with a meter on it.

You don't need to get fancy, just check it for breakdown voltage. If it is bad, the breakdown voltage will be way off.

Ameritron gets about 5-10 customers a year where gas tubes in lightning protection go bad. They break down early. The result of that is an amplifier can get up to a few hundred watts or more, and then *wham* the feedline shorts! This is always great on parts.

I don't have a single GDT in my TX system, although I've tried them in my RX systems out in switch boxes near antennas. I have mixed results using low voltage GDT devices to protect relays and stuff. I have no damage at all in the house without them.

73 Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Art Snapper" <art@nk8x.net>