Re: Topband: Eighteen years later, K9AY rethinks the receiving loop ante

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Eighteen years later, K9AY rethinks the receiving loop antenna
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 21:12:33 -0500
>The only question I have (if you have time) is about the updated grounding
>suggestions for your original design. I know you posted something in the
>past that it works better if the ground is changed somehow.
>
>...73, Mike
>www.w0btu.com

Mike and all,

Yes, over time I gained a better understanding about grounding the K9AY Loop.
My own installations have worked well with only a ground rod, including Georgia
red clay over granite bedrock and black Midwest farmland soil.

My recommendation for a while has been to go ahead and build it with just a
ground rod. If it has good F/B, don't worry about further grounding. BUT...

1) If you don't see a deep rearward null, and you're sure there is no
installation problem, coupling to nearby things, or common-mode issues with
feedline and control lines, or...

2) You see obvious changes with the seasons (typically in dry summer or with
winter frost), then...

Install some radials to stabilize the ground connection. A minimum of 4 located
under the loop wires may be OK, but reports suggest that 4 more (total 8) is a
better choice. Radials should extend 10 ft. or so beyond the footprint of the
loop.

I'll repeat that I have little personal experience since my QTHs have been fine
without radials, but I've received enough reports to see a trend with the above
recommendation.

73, Gary
K9AY