Re: Topband: Which 4 directions?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Which 4 directions?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 11:54:56 -0700
On Tue,4/7/2015 9:51 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
I'm planning to build and deploy 4 receiving antennasfor 160M this summer - some mix of BOGs, K9AYs, etc.Question is, where would you aim them, from a QTH 60 miles NW of Washington DC.

I would look at your 160M DXCC list, see what you've worked and what you're missing. When I moved here, I put together a spreadsheet of the headings of NA cities (for contesting purposes) and DX countries. I included distances, then sorted by azimuth. Next, I drew a plan view of the clearing around my house and ham shack showing the dozen or so trees that looked like suitable supports work wire antennas.

Based on that study, I figured out that I needed a dipole broadside to about 50 degrees to work the east coast, EU, and VK/ZL, and a second one broadside to about 310 degrees to work Asia and South America. I laid out two reversible Beverages using DX Engineering hardware with the same headings. I had ACAD on my biz computer, and used that to generate and maintain the drawings. My property is not very friendly to the vertical RX arrays that Frank suggested. BUT -- I strongly recommend that you chase down the presentation on RX antennas that he did last year for Contest University at Dayton. In it, he observed that some array types are more tolerant of nearby objects than others.

73, Jim K9YC