Topband: Topband loading coil

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband loading coil
From: Max Cotton <m0ghq@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 13:49:29 +0100
I have an inverted L antenna resonant on 80m, I decided to add a loading coil
to the base to bring it on frequency for TopBand. I wound a 2.5mm wire coil 16
turns on a bit of square Paxoline board by drilling holes into the board each
side and feeding the coil through the holes, a bit of a struggle but it worked,
not very pretty, it is 146mm diameter and 120mm long 30.5uH. When I first tried
it the SWR after small trimming was 1.2:1 band centre and 2.0:1 band edges. Now
it looked a but ugly, so I decided to neat it up a bit by adding two fibreglass
webs so the coil was now  circular and held by a cross section instead of just
the one plane,  now when I retried the SWR it is still resonant on 1.800 but
the SWR is now 2.0:1 in the middle of the band and 4.0:1 at the edges  the
turns are the same, the inductance is the same but I have lost my fine SWR
curve. I only added the fibreglass and neated up the coil, Ideas what to do
next apart from removing the fibreglass webs and goin
 g back to ugly coil?73 Max M0GHQ