Re: Topband: Maunder minimum solar cycle in 2030?

To: Frank Donovan <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Maunder minimum solar cycle in 2030?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:43:10 -0400
I had to do a memory refresh but finally recalled that Leif Svalgaard, et.al.
accurately predicted Cycle 24 in October 2004.  He did not use conveyor
belt theory but polar field measurements:

"Using direct polar field measurements, now available for four solar
cycles, we predict that the approaching solar cycle 24 (2011 maximum) will
have a peak smoothed monthly sunspot number of 75 ± 8, making it
potentially the smallest cycle in the last 100 years."

http://www.leif.org/research/Cycle%2024%20Smallest%20100%20years.pdf

The actual smoothed sunspot peak for Cycle 24 was around 82 in early 2014
(blue line on the graph below).  He missed the peak date because it
occurred during the cycle's second peak.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

73,  Bill  W4ZV