Re: Topband: FW: Commond mode choke for Beverage

To: "Bill Hider" <n3rr@erols.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: Commond mode choke for Beverage
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 19:56:23 -0400

I tried 7 & 8 turns, but it resolved too high in freq.

Use 9 TURNS on a core-stack of five (5) of P/N 2631803802 cores. That’s the Mix #31 core.

The attenuation of any choke significantly depends on the common mode impedance, and impedances from shield to ground. Many times just a few ohms is enough, some cases even 10,000 ohms will not help.

It is a system that varies from place to place. For example, if you have a small floating loop the common mode impedance of that loop is already so high a choke would have no effect at all. If you have a cable between two fairly well grounded points, if it even needs a choke, the choke requirement would be low.

It is almost like a pi network filter. There is a shunt impedance at one end of the choke, the choke impedance, a series line common mode impedance, and another shunt impedance.

A dipole is another example. If the feed cable to a dipole is 1/8th to 3/8th wave long with a cable suspended away from things, and it is grounded at the earth, it is just as effective as using a balun. If you added a common mode choke near ground, it would make common mode significantly worse.

Before going wild with impedance goals, it is a good idea to look at the particular system.

My Beverage RX antennas at the antennas are isolated from the cable shield because I have just a few short ground rods. I don't want the shield being be a ground for those poor ground rods, because the shield would couple in unwanted signal. My RX verticals out in a field each have 8 long radials and buried feed cables, and the hub is well grounded. They have no common mode isolation at all, and do not need any. Any contribution of signal by the coax would be no different than just adding another radial.

73 Tom