Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: RFI - and lots of it

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, 'topband' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: RFI - and lots of it
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 09:59:10 -0700
Recently I put up a big new tower and a ground system for it and learned a few things.

The actual ground conductivity is a bit of a mystery and highly variable over short distances, so I bought a clamp on ground resistance measuring meter on ebay, a Chinese knockoff for $300. It was quite informative about what was working and what not. After a short learning curve, it worked well and would be a good investment to share within clubs, etc. (DY1000A Digital Clamp-on Grounding Earth Resistance Meter Earth Tester) I checked into renting a meter and the one month rental was more than $300.

The new code requirement is for #2 awg to the rods from the panel/tower. However after expressing skepticism about why this is necessary, I learned that this size conductor is essentially a ground rod if down about 10" in the earth as it is essentially a horizontal rod, just about as effective (surface area) as pounding a 10' rod into the earth.

I started off believing I could drive two 10' x 5/8" rods with couplers to 20' depth with a 1.5" capacity Bosch hammer drill with a ground rod driver attachment but that was a no go. I drilled the first 36" of the rod position with a rotary bit as we have a hardpan layer at about 12" to 24" depth. Five new rods were 10' and one of 4' when going deeper was a no go. The recommended spacing is 2x the ground rod depth and in a star configuration for towers. The code specified resistance to achieve for a tower is less than 10 ohms. I measured each lead and the resistance reduced by an average of 35% from late summer bone dry conditions to after about 4" of rain. 8.0 ohms to 5.3 ohms net parallel resistance for 5x 10' plus 4x 8' rods. I believe that much of that resistance reduction after 4" of rain was from the #2 horizontal runs, about 90' of wire. So I declared victory, and will measure again shortly now that we are well into the rain season here in Redmond, WA. and the ground is becoming saturated at depth.

Cadweld "One Time" copper thermite welding is the way to go for connecting the ground lead to the rod - good for the life of the rod w/o any need for inspection and zero ohms. They are about $12 a shot from your local electrical distributor. There are many variations of number and size of conductors. They also appeal to any pyro instincts you might have. For problem sites e.g. rock ledges, there are conductive concrete mixtures that can be poured around horizontal rods and wire leads to dramatically increase the conductive surface area and produce a useful ground resistance, but that is not needed at my site.

My reference "far earth ground" for measurements is the Ufer foundation of a steel building, about 250' of perimeter concrete. It is impossible to measure that resistance since the steel frame connects everything to everything, including the service transformer with HV underground feeder. When that transformer was installed the PSE "ground" was the concrete vault Ufer, no separate ground rods. I suspect the net of these Ufer grounds are less than 1 ohm to the "far earth ground."

While my QTH is in one of the lowest lightning frequency areas of the USA, the new tower goes 50' plus over the tree line and is on a ridge, so I became a bit paranoid about a strike. The total investment for the ground system was about $850 including the meter. That seemed like reasonable insurance considering the rotators, hardline, controllers, and shack equipment dependent on a good ground system.

Grant KZ1W