Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mag loop 400W if possible.
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:34:09 -0600
It's *possible* to construct an STL (small transmitting loop) with fairly
good efficiency. But *NOT* one for 160 meters that fits inside a house! :-)

I have a web page about STLs with lots of linked pages at
www.w0btu.com/magnetic_loops.html
Take particular note of the first two links there to Owen Duffy's site and
what he has to say.

No telling what problems an indoor STL could cause. It could couple to the
AC wiring and damage connected appliances.
In the late 1970s a dipole in our apartment caused some interesting
effects! Incandescent lamps lit up dimly, even though the wall switch was
off. We could hear a loud hum from a neighbor's stereo through the floor
when we transmitted. And our Heathkit digital clock went bonkers. Enough
said.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com