Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 23:59:37 +0000
> After a few months the problem returned and the coax was found
> stripped away again.  I set aside radio operating for a while and began
> watching my 6m tower for evidence of the guilty party.  To my surprise, I
> found the culprit to be medium sized woodpecker birds.  Two or three birds
> would hang upside down under the Yagi boom and very efficiently strip away
> at the coax until the damage was done.

> Terry K4RX

I have  had that problem, except  they were eating my shack!  They pecked holes
in the wood siding and trimming.  The only way I have even been able to
discourage them is to stuff aluminium foil in the hole they already made, and
they will abandon that hole but a few days later start another one.  I'm sure
it isn't insects in the wood that attract them; the building is treated for
termites and the wood they chose to destroy is sound and solid, with no sign of
insect infestation.

I looked up on a couple of websites and it appears to be a common problem but
the only suggestions anyone was able to furnish was something impractical like
covering the entire building with netting.

Don k4kyv