Topband: FCP Antenna

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FCP Antenna
From: "Chortek, Robert L." <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 19:52:23 +0000
Dear Fellow Topband Enthusiasts:

I'm hoping to get a little help here:

Q:  Will I see noticeable improvement if I change my radial system to a FCP
and/or raise the base of my elevated vertical?

Background:  I have a 60 foot tall vertical I use on 80 meters, which I also
base load for 160.  The antenna is fed at the base about 3 feet off the ground.
The radial system consists of 12 gull wing radials (8 for 160 and 4 four 80)
which slope up to the roof about 10 feet or so high, then make a 90 degree turn
and then run roughly parallel to one another but fan out somewhat (6 and 6) The
radials essentially form a U shape (base of the U slopes up to the roof and
then the legs of the U are on the roof because that is what my lot allows.

1.    If I were to replace the radials with a FCP system (and raising the base
of the antenna from 3 feet to 8 feet), would my transmitted signal improve to
the point where anyone would notice?

2.    If I just raised the base of the antenna from 3 feet to 8 feet and kept
the existing radial system would my transmitted signal improve to the point
where anyone would notice?

As a frame of reference, I have worked 144 countries on 160 from a 1/4 acre
city lot in San Jose, CA. and worked nearly 200 on 80, so I am having some
success.   Just trying to figure out what I could do better.  Please, let's not
talk about top loading vs. base loading because that is not my question (I
understand the benefits of top loading vs. base or center loading, but have my
reasons for using base loading - for now) .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

73,

Bob/AA6VB