Re: Topband: strange propagation

To: John Frazier <fraz1@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: strange propagation
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 11:23:11 -0500 (EST)
I would see this as analo g ou s to what happened in contesting. Originally,
you could use 2 meter spotting nets to help "find"  multipliers, no problem.
Eventually, f olks in less populated areas complained that this was
disadvantageous to them and the contest sponso rs decided that use of these
"nets" put you in multi-op category (it would say in the listing "K3OX + net").
O nce computer technology became mature enough, "assisted" operating became
possible using computer technology alone and a decision had to be made as to
the proper disposition of this practice . The computer didn't technically make
you "multi-op", but it was an advantage over the fellows who operated without
this benefit, so the "assisted" category was created. Soon operating assisted
class was an accepted thing with no more or less "glory" than any other class.

So here's a proposal; maybe hav ing two cate gorie s, a DXCC "bareback" (all
QSO's made from a station within, say, 200 miles of the operator's licensed
address) and "unlimited" (any legal QSO's according to current DXCC rules)
would be a reasonable accommodation. If you moved outside the miles limit, you
would  have to decide whether to stay " bareback" and start another DXCC from
your new QTH or transition to "unlimited" and carry over your previous credits.
Current DXCC accounts would have to declare which category their previous
operations conformed to .

For a hot minute, the "bareback" category might be seen as more prestigious,
but eventually that would fade like the contest categories have faded. End of
problem. Except to the ARRL which would have to administer all this, hi hi.

73 Kevin K3OX