Re: Topband: K5P in Zone 14

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K5P in Zone 14
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 22:57:19 -0800
On Sat,1/16/2016 10:48 PM, Jan Erik Holm wrote:
Yesterday to my big surprise I could copy K5P on 160m for
about 30 minutes, seemed to peak around 1445Z. They where
as strong as 559 on the peaks with deep QSB. I never ever
was thinking it was possible to even hear them the way
160m is these days.
1445Z is good propagation to western NA (west coast sunrise), so they were probably listening there. If they knew there was propagation to EU, they would probably have listened there instead. Let your pilot know.

Big problem also was that the K5P operator never did announce
the RX frequency, he seemed to listen both up and down.
I am sorry but this is a very bad way of operating.

They are very close to JA. JA can TX 1810 to 1825. K5P TX is 1825.5. They listen DOWN for JA, UP for everyone else.

73, Jim K9YC