Topband: K5P good job !

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K5P good job !
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 09:55:36 -0400
Whoever the 160m op was this morning was doing a really great job, moving
right along at aprox 32-33wpm.  (I have to wonder if it was K9CT)

I managed to get in the log at 1155z (10mins before SR here), however there
were a few W1's and a VE1 that were worked 10-15mins before that.

What surprised me (why, I don't know-It just does, even after many decades)
was when K5P would say AA0R? AA0R?, .WB2Z.'s, KB4Q.'s and VE7S..'s would all
come back to him.  Yes, most did stop calling, so I have to wonder...are
these folks just plain rude or were they not hearing K5P well enough to
discern who he was coming back to?

Now, In full disclosure, I am no saint, and have been known to respond to a
DX stn if there's an unruly p/u I hear something like VE3A? VE3A? or 9AA?,
9AA? ,IT9A? IT9A? or VE8AU? VE8AU? or VE1AAA? VE1AAA? but all those dance
around my call (VE9AA). If there's any change "away" from my call, I stop
calling.  I also listen to my xmit QRG and if there's someone with a closer
call, I will stop calling.  Luckily, it almost always starts off with VE9?
or 9AA? so I am good 99% of the time and rarely step on anyones toes. (and
always feel bad if I do)

If the DX said WB6Z? I certainly wouldn't call.  Full credit to the K5P op
who tried to stick with it til he figured the original caller wasn't hearing
him or they were getting pummeled so badly from calls not even close to the
original, that he moved on.  Rate is king when time is limited.(dxpeditions
only have so many days)

gah !

Anyways, they were doing an incredible job despite incessant callers..some
of whom NEVER stopped calling.  They were in here solid for a good hour at
about 529-549 (no preamp on), inverted L @ 35' a mile of radials..and up to
26mins past SR here before slipping into the dust.

Well done Islanders ! Well done.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB