Topband: NCC-1 Phaser

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NCC-1 Phaser
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:12:07 -0400
After nearly two years of trying to get some measurable improvement with the MFJ-1026 noise cancelling box I finally gave up and sold them on E-Bay and purchased a DX-Engineering NCC-1. The frustration of the finicky controls on the MFJ was time consuming and I never was able to realize much benefit. I decide to buy the NCC-1 with the idea of phasing some Beverages for both noise reduction and possibly enhance signal performance. The ability to have 360 degree control and a smooth large knob made sense. My first test was on 160 meters with the K5P DX-Pedition on Palmyra where I have two Beverages 900' long bur running end to end and not staggered or spaced. Both have equal length feed-lines to the shack. They are reversible Beverages but both were tested in the West Direction which was spot on to K5P. Over several hours of listening and switching I was very impressed how K5P, although readable on a single antenna just amazingly rose from the noise level when I would adjust the NCC-1 phase controls. It was quick, smooth, and easy. It was repeatable for over several hours of listening and the phase Normal/Reverse switch would make the signal disappear when thrown. First one antenna alone and then the other antenna alone and then the two antennas through the NCC-1. I did not expect to work this way that well but it surpassed my expectation. Also with the tropical TS we often receive here in the Caribbean I could make adjustments to effective take the QRN static down to near nothing. Of course I got some reduction before in this with just the selection of the right Beverage but not dramatically as much. I now have added my entire bank of beverages to the other input even though some run N/S and other NE/SW. I will also try to see what I can get from two Beverages, One S/E and the other S to see if i can get any improvement on VP8STI if they fire up on 160 soon.

Also for the first time I had excellent copy on K5P on 80 meters but they came on one hour after my S/R and i was not able to break the NA wall calling them. Nor did I have enough time on 80 to really test the phase on two really long Beverages. I was hoping that two Beverages, even though not space nor staggered, but end to end, would allow for more capture area and a better ability to null out noise from other directions. Hopefully they will come on 80 at the Sunset and stay on for a few hours at least to check the results.

I would imagine also that the conventionally way the NCC-1 is depicted in the catalog with a "noise" antenna would be fine in some circumstances to null out other random noise sources but I did not try this yet. My only beef is that DXE offers free shipping for orders this size to the U.S. but that means only continental U.S. even for the same U.S.P.S. P.O. Box and Zip Code address which I have. Ironically most North American vendors take the same approach but items on Ebay from China, when they say "free shipping" mean it. I noticed that China Post has a contract with Fed-Ex to take all their small parcels here and it is super fast. But the additional shipping charges added for me are worth every penny.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ