Topband: VP8STI Humor, Design engineer trauma

To: '160' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VP8STI Humor, Design engineer trauma
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 18:56:05 +0000
   Well, it was not as if I did not know it was going to happen someday, I had
remained pretty cheeky until this time. I had often knew it was sure to come. I
have remained pretty self-content that I had invented the ultimate DX antenna
for the state of Oregon. The Hi-Z 8A. In the hours that I had spent trying to
work DX on 160 I had remained convinced that I could hear everything that
anyone else in Oregon could hear. After all I had taken 5 years out of my early
retirement life inventing surely in my mind the monster of all receiving
antennas for 160. But it was last night the 22nd of January 2016 when I was
finally humbled by my friend in Grants Pass Oregon some 225 highway miles
Southwest of me.  I knew it was coming someday. I had my earphones plugged into
to my trusty Orion 1 transceiver when I saw a post from my friend that he was
hearing the VP8 very well and of all the nerve he was using one of my own
antennas invented right here in this little town of 1360 people wi
 th no stop lights. Of all the nerve. Well I said to myself the VP8 will clear
up here any moment. I listened and tuned the Old Orion, which by the way I
still think is better at 160 than the K3, sure enough I could hear a character
or 2 of the VP8. I listened and listened and it never got but little better. I
called a few times when I was convinced I might just squeak through but alas I
thought he may have come back to me but horrors, maybe I remain in the group
reported to have been called and not heard. And so it is here on the morning of
the 23rd I remain crushed by my own ego and at my own hand. Congratulations
Rich K7ZV, I covet your mountain top location now because you have answered the
question I have pondered for a long time. Now I am truly convinced that the
mountain top locations really must be better on the low frequencies like 160. I
am doubly crushed that it was one of my second tier designs that had whipped me
so soundly. And so it is with my mind turning at t
 op speed today, which one of my antennas or how many should I place at this
1250 foot peak just 2 miles due South of my QTH with NO power lines and would
it be worth the effort. Hmmm of course it would after all I have what I read a
long time ago on Tree's web stuff. I am inflicted, yes you guessed it the
dreaded 160 disease. Hmmm wonder if I could hear 630 meters up there. So it is
now I thank my friend Rich which took the smile off my face last eve and left
me with Hmmm why not, that peak sure is appealing and it belongs to the Federal
grass lands.  Surely I could get a grazing permit for some signal hungry
aluminum  and inconvenienced electrons corralled in some suitable enclosures. I
need to call my friend whom is a digital guy and pick his brain about wifi
remoting. I gotta go guys, got lots to do to prepare for next year. Granted my
health, I am in.

Congratulations to all whom have made it. I will try until they leave. It was
better last night, surely it will be better tonight.

Lee  K7TJR   Central Oregon