Re: Topband: VP8STI Humor, Design engineer trauma

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VP8STI Humor, Design engineer trauma
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:07:11 -0600
Lee,

No one's mentioned the "Spotlight" phenomenon, which occasionally happens
on 160.  The signal comes shining down from the "upper layers" and
illuminates a very small area.  Stations lucky enough to be in the covered
spot get to work the DX.  Everyone else, well...

Can't remember where I read about this, but it would mean that your being
250 miles from the other station might place you well out of the covered
area.  You'd never hear the DX, regardless of how many antennas you had.

Brad  KV5V