Re: Topband: A35T

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A35T
From: Charlie <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:37:31 -0600
The ops have made a valiant effort since they were able to install the low band
antennas.    The prop has not cooperated.
On 80M here in WV they have not been strong.  I had to work them twice on 80
because the first Q, made during the ARRL DX test, was NIL.

On Topband, extensive listening only produced copy right on my sunrise on 23
Feb.   The opening was fleeting. likely lasting only a couple of minutes, and
the signal peaked barely out of the noise.   I heard them calling NO3M several
times during the initial part of the opening.  I tried a quick call after that
Q was completed.  They answered someone and gave a report, but I could not tell
who they answered. The opening was already on the downhill slide.  I listened,
hoping they would repeat the callsign/report.  No one else was answering them
on the QSX frequency.  In the noise, I heard my callsign one time and a report.
 I heard them confirm, and then the prop was gone.  This is about as lucky of a
Q as I can recall on Topband.  They were logged dead on my SR, 1207 UTC.

It turns out they miscopied the last letter of my call as N rather than R, but
Tim M0URX corrected the busted call, and the Q is confirmed on LoTW.  Many
thanks to Tim M0URX for the excellent service/ support he gives to the DX
chasing world.

I was receiving A35T on my transmit inverted L, which is situated on the west
side of my hilltop.  During these sunrise openings to the Pacific, the TX
antenna, with the front end of the FT5K set on IPO2,  usually outperforms my
receive antennas, which are not optimally deployed due to terrain issues.

Sometimes even a blind squirrel gets the nut :-)

Thanks to the op at A35T for pulling me out, and sticking with it on Topband.

73 Charlie N8RR
Charleston WV