Re: Topband: Am I the only one in step?

To: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Am I the only one in step?
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:54:51 -0500
Hi Roger

Thanks for making me take a second look.  For some reason, I thought ARRL
had a 160 phone contest - they do not.  My mistake.
As it turns out - there is only ONE SSB contest - the CQ 160 SSB that can
fill 160 meters with SSB signals.  ONE weekend per year in which CW
activity will be seriously impacted by a phone contest on 160.

There are the CQ 160 and ARRL 160 CW contests.  Not sure how you protect a
DXpedition from contest activity if they were operating CW during a CW
contest.  Would the DXpedition operate phone that weekend?  Not sure how
well that would work, as they would be pushed pretty high up the band...

ALL the other contests listed have 160 meters as one band of six to conduct
contest QSO's.  Folks will make a 'quick trip' to 160, look for a few
QSO's, then return to higher bands.

Even if folks operate phone in the contests you have listed, I really
cannot see someone camping out below 1840 for an extended period of time
looking for Q's.  Good manners and common sense seem to play a huge part in
this.  Am I missing something?

How do we move a world-wide contest, based a DXpedition taking to the air
at the last minute, and saying "Gee - wonder if we should operate on 160?"
 I realize this may seem like an odd question, but this seems what you
would like to see happen.  The weekend is advertised - years in advance -
for any DXpedition to find.  Other/most DXpeditions seem to take contest
activity in account as part of their planning.  Phone operation already
takes place higher in the band during every contest, other than the one
that just happened.  Topband is safe from SSB signals below 1840 for
another 51 weeks.

Just trying to understand the issue...

Tom - VE3CX