Re: Topband: 160M 8 Circle Array for transmit

To: Dan Maguire <djm2150@yahoo.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M 8 Circle Array for transmit
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 16:16:51 -0800

On 3/4/2016 1:51 PM, Dan Maguire via Topband wrote:
There are some fairly detailed 8-circle modeling studies in the last section on
this page:

http://ac6la.com/aecollection6.html

Lots of illustrations and several url links for more info.

Dan, AC6LA
http://ac6la.com

I looked at that page.  That configuration is even larger than
what I decided on.  More acreage to get a little more gain at
the expense of increased sidelobes.  That was what made me look
at a smaller circle (although I have space for the larger circle).

I also looked at the Hi-Z array.  It is much smaller, but has
good gain and low sidelobes.  The disadvantage is that it is
relatively narrow band and very critical.  Also, you have to
feed all 8 antennas at once with 3 different phases.  I
suspect it would be difficult to make a transmit version.

The BSEF array I am using is very broadband and not critical,
and you only feed 4 antennas at a time.  Easy to feed as a
transmit array as well.  If you have the space for it, it
makes a lot of sense.  The 290 foot circle I am using may have
already been written up somewhere before.  It seems "obvious"
to me:  an octagon 1/2 wavelength across the flats.
I didn't read all the references.

Rick N6RK