Re: Topband: [Bulk] Handheld Impedance Analyzer

To: "dick.bingham" <dick.bingham@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Handheld Impedance Analyzer
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:45:31 -0700
My 2c, having owned MFJ269, AIM4170, VNWA2.3 & 3, AA54, SARK110, old noise bridges, and used a friends FG-01 on a DXpedition.

The MFJ is old, not all that accurate and really useless in the presence of other strong RF, eg BCB. Sold it. I'd call it obsolete vs current competition.

AIM4170 (old serial port) was next, still own it and use it, the separate DC power and PC is a pain for "handheld" but done that, nice graphics, accurate, PC output, full calibration capabilities, it's a full S11 analyzer + TDR.

VNWA 2.3 then upgraded to VNWA 3, full 2 port network analyzers, these are in a league of $$$ bench instruments, rarely used for antennas, but most heavily used of all.

AA54 bought as real "handheld" for on tower or at antenna, no PC needed, funky menu system, simple B&W graphics, no auto find capability, but did what I needed in the yard and on DXpeditions, SO239 connector and rugged case make it pretty sturdy.

SARK110 is the latest, fits in shirt pocket, much better color graphics and PC output than AA54, a real S11 analyzer, TDR, signal gen, etc. Most bang for the buck. Cal capabilities. Fragile connector. Several auto modes that are useful when tuning. Rechargable battery, decent life. The winner for me.

You Kits FG-01 (now FG-011), smallest, does the swr measuring job, easy to navigate, cheapest

Caution: Experience (bad) shows the SARK110 and FG-01 won't handle much RF, you can blow the front ends if tuning an antenna while another nearby is transmitting which can happen on DXpeditions. Probably true for all of the others, but so far avoided with the AA54. The others stayed home.

Big antennas can sometimes hear enough RF to make these handheld units yield ambiguous results. There really aren't the bandpass filtering and bullet proof front end needed that you find in R&S, Agilent, etc. Learned that recently and needed to fall back to my K3 at 5w to be sure of the tuning. Or add your own bandpass filter.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA