Re: Topband: Handheld Impedance Analyzer

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Handheld Impedance Analyzer
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:49:10 -0400
THIS is the way that you do it. The newer graphing boxes (most of them
since AIM4170)  will allow you to pre-calibrate a transmission line, and
then see all results as if you were really up there.

Get an instrument (they are getting less and less expensive) that will
graph R and X (both below and above the horizontal graph axis) and see what
is really going on. Trying to extend SWR as a prime instrument is
ultimately doomed. SWR is around because in ancient days it was all that
could be afforded and built from junk box parts. Since embedded CPU's are
in everything from gas grills to washing machines to telephones to little
kid's toys, the programs and the IC chips to make the essential math really
simple have become very cheap.

Resonance is where the graph line for X crosses zero. Just use your SWR
like the oil pressure lamp in your car. Let it tell you where out of bounds
for your amp is, tell you when something got broke in your antenna because
it is not the same any more, etc. Don't try and use it for the deep stuff
or initial adjustment.

We do not have to use our hammers to fix our Swiss watch any more. Having
the box tell you the R and X values at the FAR end of a transmission is a
gift way, way too good not to be the first analytical line of attack.

73, Guy K2AV