Re: Topband: low band propagation at solar min

To: Top Band Contesting <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: low band propagation at solar min
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 22:35:27 +0000
Bob - I couldn't agree more....listen, call CQ every so often (use RBN to see
how you're "doing"), repeat.....take notes, etc.

However, I'll add a slightly slant/entreaty here............I've been on 160
and 80 in the early morning hours (1000Z to 1300Z) for days (3 to 5) at a time
(most recently, about three weeks ago) listening, calling CQ, listening,
watching the ON4KST reflector to see who's on and trying to make
Qs...........nary one other station heard.

Now, one "note" - I am at QRP to just over QRP (10 watts) and I don't employ a
BOG or Beveridge or other rx-only antenna BUT....I do enjoy a relatively quiet
home location in s/w Utah where S levels are around S3 or so..........still no
calls, no hearing CQs, nada. In short,  I become "bummed" somewhat when I see
RBN reports from stations in WA, CA, MN, AZ and NV of 20, 14, 16 etc., as I
call CQ, knowing FULL well there have to be others "on the band."

I wish others wud listen on top band and 80 --- if they hear some "less than
exotic call sign calling CQ," give the guy/gal a call, send an RST and move on!

I feel like - NO, I believe firmly - there is a "snooty view" by those ops with
THE ultimate antenna farms (tx and rcv) that takes over when they get on 160 or
80 ----- they light the filaments of their amps, ensure they are selecting
the"correct" rx array "heading," and listen "vehemently" for any signs of a VK,
a JA, a "whatever" call sign...as long as it isn't aW/K.......! wish others on
160/80 wud invest one minute to answer a CQ, send the RST and move on..... it's
OK to work a fella W/K ham on top band - it won't sully you image amongst the
"top band elite."

I KNOW I do "well" in the CQ, ARRL and Stew events - so, albeit a QRP to 10
watt limitation, I know it's not my "system"!

I hope some of youz will start listening a little and take opportunities to
answer CQs on top band, during non-contesting times......understanding there
are us "peanut whistle" stations out there who, simply, enjoy hearing a reply
to our CQs OR hope to hear others calling CQ, sans "CQ DX"!

71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

Monday, June 06, 2016 2:58 AM
To: jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu ; 'Carl Luetzelschwab' ; topband@contesting.com

I believe we still have so much to learn on this subject.
That is why nothing beats listening no matter what the numbers say.
73 and gud DX.  Bob K3UL