Re: Topband: Fw: 160 m inverted L

To: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: 160 m inverted L
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 15:56:56 -0500
The business of avoiding high angle radiation at all costs is a real urban
myth on 160. NVIS closing of close-in skip zones on 160 can save your run
frequency in contests.

While creating an R=50, X= whatever feed Z is certainly useful, other
issues are paramount. Reduction of current in the counterpoise is always a
reduction in ground losses. For situations where the loss is unavoidably
high, going beyond R=50 may be worth it for efficiency reasons.

There is also the significantly erroneous myth that high angle radiation
from an L is taken away from the low angles. Some time in modeling shows
that higher efficiency provides the difference. The low angle radiation
remains fairly constant and simply depends on the height of the vertical
wire and the shape of the RF current density on the vertical wire.

There is also the myth that high angle makes RX worse. Being plain jane
vertical in part is what makes RX worse. To that end, to really hear on
160, one uses RX antennas to hear. In that case, who cares to what degree a
TX antenna hears. You can't fix the TX antenna's problem that it is a large
vertical antenna that will hear all the local vertically polarized noise.
The fix is to use various RX antennas. So who cares about TX antennas' RX.
If you are serious, you will get RX antennas. Many different RX antenna
solutions, workable, effective, beats RX-on-TX-antenna to a bloody pulp.

Then there is the business of a long horizontal wire moving the current
density up to fill out the entire vertical run, and getting more RF out at
low angles over the local RF-lossy ground clutter.

It is convenient that an emerging efficient range of an L's Hor + Vert wire
= 140-155 feet, does conveniently and decently meet other goals.

If you are doing QRP or 100W in a contest, filling in the skip zones caused
by pure vertical antennas will help you do running instead of all S&P, and
significantly improve your score, and yes, I meant running instead of all
S&P while QRP on 160m.

73, Guy K2AV