Re: Topband: Contest conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Contest conditions
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 22:04:11 -0700
I think some contest stations had directional receive antennas and omni
transmitting antennas. There were times when S9 stations couldn't hear me at
all, and I suspect they were just listening in a different direction. At
other times, I could work stations just marginally out of the noise.

I noticed that on 80m some Chinese stations would be booming in, with a
pileup calling, but they'd never work anybody. (I never heard any of them on
Top Band.)That I attributed to likely high noise levels in Chinese cities.
Some of the big Russian contest stations were also blasting in but couldn't
hear any callers, including me. I suspect some them may have been running
"Russian Kilowatts."  By contrast, the big JA multi-multi contesters could
hear and work everything.

One problem I frequently encountered was DX stations sending CW way too
fast. When a station is just out of the noise with fast QSB, as many
frequently are, they're really hard to copy if they're going 45 wpm,
especially if they have a short, unusual call, like T5W.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Bob