Topband: New use for Noise Canceling box

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New use for Noise Canceling box
From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 11:03:36 -0500
Tree,

Years ago I had a very similar noise. Seemed to be in the power lines as I drove around with my car radio at AM 1700 KHZ. Purchased a MFJ 1026 even though a naysayer said it could not work with the noise in the power lines.   After experimenting with 'noise antennas' into the auxiliary input , a close to ground antenna to my south worked well. Was able to totally null out the noise and work DX again.   I lived with this for a couple of years until the big Ice Storm of 1998.  Everyone in the lost power. I got an old power generator going and got on the air, and there was no noise.  As the power company was fixing the broken power lines, I was listening and watching. Immediately when a neighbor got power , the noise was back.   Contacted the neighbor and found him to be cooperative. After some testing, found the problem was his computer. it had one of those Chinese power supplies

that became well know with time.
73
Bruce-k1fz
http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/bogantennanotes/