Re: Topband: New use for Noise Canceling box

Subject: Re: Topband: New use for Noise Canceling box
From: Art Snapper <art@nk8x.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 11:08:52 -0500
A similar method has been in use here for a couple years. It let me snag
VP8STI among others underneath a big noise last winter.

This year, I made a wire flag for 80/160 as a noise pickup antenna, and
pointed the null 180 degrees away from the noise source(s). The flag is
routed to a variable gain preamp before the phasing unit.

It appears that adding the noise pickup antenna, can add lobes or skew the
pattern of my 4 square rx antenna. That doesn't mean that the desired
signal's SNR won't be improved. Often it is.

Prior to the flag, bogs were being used here as the pickup antenna. I still
use them when the signal can be improved from polarity diversity.

.

de Art NK8X

ᐧ