Re: Topband: "Thinking out loud"

To: vk3io <vk3io@iinet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Thinking out loud"
From: Mark Schoonover <mark@ka6wke.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:32:16 -0800
I've spent some time using the MFJ-1026 noise canceler. It took some effort
to get it to work, I had to come up with a much better noise antenna. I
bought one of those 8' crappie poles from local big chain and spiral
wrapped about 50' of wire on it. I mounted it in the clear as close to my
neighbors houses. It takes some practice to null noise out but it's really
worth the effort. I'm on the west coast outside of San Diego and during
2015 WPX CW contest, I worked D4C on 160. Granted that station is in the
elite status but  my IC-7410 with 100 watts into a 36' vertical and a 40M
loop as a caphat, I was able to log the contact. I'm on a small lot with
the longest dimension about 80'. I've been able to put down 2 ~200' radials
that go around the perimeter of my property. Definitely though, SNR is
king. I keep the AF gain at max and ride the RF gain. The sensitivity of
modern rigs is rather amazing but that also means more noise is also
received.

73! Mark KA6WKE

4NEC2 The Definitive Guide  <https://leanpub.com/4nec2definitiveguide>
Website: http://www.ka6wke.net