Re: Topband: Digital modes on TB and power required

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital modes on TB and power required
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 12:34:35 -0400
I can't speak to JT65 as I have never used it.  But on CW, I used 100 - 200W
only for 10 years.  T top vertical with 40 radials under and really crappy
soil.  Beverages in many directions.  I was able to work 140 Countries and
30 zones.

I now have a 1.5kW amp and phased verticals and am working on 200 countries
and the rest of the zones.

Its breaking the pileups on the long haul stuff that looks to be virtually
impossible without an amp.  But DXCC is not impossible.  While W1 is a great
DX contest location, having lived in W5, W4, W8 and W7, I can tell you that
it DXCC is no easier in W1.  In fact it was far easier in W5 and W7 than in
W1.

73

Ed  N1UR