Re: Topband: LU5OM shortened dipole (inverted vee) doing a nice job

To: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Subject: Re: Topband: LU5OM shortened dipole (inverted vee) doing a nice job
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:21:58 -0400
The inverted L has some quirks that if not managed can impact performance.

They don't do well if the bend is supported by a tower, or if there are
nearby "weed" parasitic elements from 40 and 80 dipoles/vees lacking the
blocking to isolate them on 160.  L's don't do well if there are trees
inside the bend. Also an L over radials will have quite a bit more current
in the radials beneath the horizontal. This unbalances the efficiency of
the radials as normally found beneath a T or straight vertical.

Comparing an L to an inverted vee on top band is a pretty murky subject.

Some would say that arrival angles via grey line propagation can be quite
high, and thus a high angle antenna might be a lot more useful if grey line
is a frequent mode. There is also a useful NVIS mode that is rarely touted
for DX, but would come into play comparing vee's to whatever if shorter
distances are important.

73, Guy K2AV