Re: Topband: Best 160 antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best 160 antenna
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:03:23 -0400
Really? Well established FACT? I’m quite confused then as reading John’s book
it seems quite nebulous the impact of elevated radials. Doesn’t seem to be a
‘fact’ – more dependent on location and other variables. I’m not suggesting
you’re wrong – just it seems the jury is quite out on this ‘fact’. W8JI
measured a -4.3 db difference between 4 elevated and only 60 (not 120) on the
ground .... others show differences of -3 – almost -6 db ... I’m not sure
itsquite that clear to say “well established fact” ... Gary  K9RX The
importance of a ferrite choke balun at the feedpoint cannot be
overemphasized. A good design for 160m is 5 or 6 turns of coax wound
through five stacked 2.4" 31-material ferrite toroids. Photos and details
on my web pages referenced earlier.

I had two elevated radials. It is a well-established fact that four 10' or
12' high 1/4 wave radials are as good as 120 on the ground.

73 Mike
www.w0btu.com