Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)

To: "'Steve Ireland'" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>, "'Topband reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:00:30 -0400
"Has the world really turned upside down and what do you think the future
holds?"

Hi Steve

On the old days we used to call CQ several times and listening, very few people
realize what listening really means. It means we need to tune around the band
to find someone calling us. Take that knob and spin it!

With the computer our habits are different. Nowadays we turn the PC first and
if we see a spot or a RBN entry we try to call.

The new digital mode is an evolution of doing nothing. Skype would be more fun,
 digital mode is boring and soon the FT8 user will feel that way too.

The best way to know the future is to work on it. We should be back to call CQ
for the fun to work someone.

Call CQ 5 times and then turn your computer on, every day, if all of us do it
once a day, the band will be fun again.

73's
N4IS
JC