Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)

To: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing? (long)
From: Bill Stewart <cwopr@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 08:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
Bill, don't give up. There is still plenty of magic in ham radio.
I get my jollies using vintage and homebrew gear. Can still smell
the dust on the hot tubes. There is a good bit of activity on the
bands by us BA and HB ops. Also there are those of us who enjoy
building rigs from the 1920's and 30's. Parts are still around and
most circuits can be as simple as ya want. We would be happy to have
you, and others, join the Antique Wireless Assoc. and/or participate
in our on-air events using the old tubes and circuits. For me at
least, I get a lot of satisfaction using my HB 1924 Meissner osc on
160m at about 5 watts input.

I used a window screen with my DX-40 on ten meters back in the early
60's ...just to see if it worked....it did load up, can't remember if
I made a contact....73 de Bill K4JYS