Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 12:34:08 -0700
Peter has written elsewhere about this.  Perhaps he is too modest to refer to it, but I am not:

http://www.sm2cew.com/jt65.html

Additionally, traditional RTTY is still a "hear it" mode.   I actually listen to the tones and while obviously I can't decode them by ear, I can certainly tune them by ear.  Furthermore, MMTTY, which I use, decodes one signal at a time, the one I tune in and respond to.  So, at least in my operation, I have to be there and actively engaged.

I will turn 76 tomorrow and in a few months will pass my 60th anniversary as a licensed ham. https://qrz.com/db/N7WS

Some, perhaps many, will say I'm an old geezer who rejects progress.  Nothing could be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, as a relatively new Topband enthusiast I had decided that, considering my modest station and abysmal 160 location, I would probably have to enter, kicking and screaming, the ranks of imaginary QSO digital modes to complete my personal goal of 160 and 9-band DXCC.

So before venturing into transmitting, I "listened" to JT65 for about a week.  Just before committing to transmitting, FT8 was announced.  I downloaded it and began making QSOs, as they were. It didn't take long to determine that unlike RTTY where LoTW confirmations are sometimes received with hours, over half of the FT8 ops never QSL, at least anywhere where the confirmations count for something.

One other depressing issue arose.  Conventional wisdom was that running JTAlert was almost a requirement.  I wasn't quite sure why, but it did do a better job of logging than WSJT-X, which hogs the serial port, preventing my normal logging program from being useful.  I use a laptop on a shelf above the rig and the second monitor below.  I was trying to work a west African station and having trouble completing because he was getting covered up by a stronger station.  I was split so he was "hearing" me.  I noticed that a window popped up but it straddled the two screens and I didn't figure it out before it was gone.  I ran another sequence or so until a second window popped up.  This time I managed to more-or-less figure it out.  Apparently, he was sending a text message that he was sending me RRR and I needed to be sending him 73!  Who needs a radio?

I turned off the radio and uninstalled WSJT-X.  If I change my mind and reinstall it in the future, I will set a personal standard, at least for awards purposes, that 1) I will be at the controls of the station. 2) I won't count any QSO that couldn't have been copied on CW. 3)  I won't count any QSO that requires the software to have prior knowledge of the two station calls or could not be copied by an uninterested third party.

Wes  N7WS