Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?
From: Roger Cooke <roger@g3ldi.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 15:09:27 +0100
I have used JT65. It's just like watching paint dry, but the only reason for using it was because I was competing in the CDXC CHallenge last year. Without using JT65 I would not have won the 6m section.

This year, again using not JT65 but FT8, I had to use it because so very few were using conventional modes.

These are slot filler modes. You cannot really tell where the station is within the passband, even if you can hear him. However the protocol takes care of you netting, returning a report, and giving a confirmation so all you have to worry about is making the coffee.

This is why my friend Roy G3ZIG has just taken down his EME array, a bay of 12 12el yagis, all tuned for max gain and very well constructed.

It might be a 9 day wonder. I used it, got no real satisfaction from working a station but then the other modes are suffering in exactly the same way.

Try having a proper QSO, name/QTH/WX/rig/ants, and a general chat. It is nigh impossible these days. I miss some of my SK friends, life-time friendships built from a first QSO. We visited each other, kept regular skeds and that WAS amateur radio. Having a QSO these days is a 10 second ( or less ) event, swapping 5nn 73, or just "Five nine" with no 73 on SSB. What's the flaming point? Might be good for award chasing, but when it is just a common USA station or EU station issuing garbage like that, what chance is there of having a conversation? Mostly they are meaningless reports anyway and you feel obligated to respond like for like.

I have no objection to that in a DX-pedition situation, but let's try and have a conversation if possible.

Please disregard the above, it's a waste of time, but I do feel better.......O:-)

73 de Roger G3LDI