Re: Topband: FT8.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:35:24 -0700
10/25/2017 20:15 PM, JC wrote:
  there is no human intervention on FT8 after the
first click.
Not in my experience with FT8. Crowded bands, DX with poor ears, callers on the DX frequency all make it a challenge for other than the casual CQ response. The GUI is hard to use when the list completely repopulates every cycle. Some sort of filtering is needed. Many ops don't know how to use split or are confused by it. RR73 is in RC2 but rarely used and if I do it causes 90% of the other stations to loop on replies. And there is strategy just like chasing any DX. This season will be interesting as a couple of big time expeditions may try it. That will be a learning experience at both ends of the Q and plenty of chaos.

With success also comes problems. No big time DXpedition will fit in 2.5KHz of WW callers.

As a new mode in gestation it is terrific and fun, a lot more than JT65. I worked at least 25 band-mode fills with the prop forecast absolutely dead for 17, 15, 12 and even 10m in three days last week from WA, home of the "suffering sevens". Zero SSB/CW propagation on those bands when East Coast stations have solid copy.

If you don't like it QSY. New technologies create new opportunities and experiences. Maye even for youth addicted to point and click. For those who spent 40 years to get to Honor Roll, they may disagree. I know at 73 years and a cold start chasing DX 5 years ago it is impossible for me to get there in this lifetime, but I can have a lot more fun with FT8 in the mix with SSB and RTTY. Maybe I'll even work on my CW skills.

Grant KZ1W