Re: Topband: future of ham radio

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: future of ham radio
From: Rudy Bakalov via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:56:01 -0400
Roger,

It’s a rather myopic view to think that if the QSO is digital there no skills
involved. The QSO is a combination of engineering skills to design a
competitive station including effective antennas, knowing the propagation, and
actually showing up to make the QSO.

Let’s remember why digital modes exist in first place- to improve SNR, not to
automate the QSO. That is, the effort to improve SNR is part of the same
journey as the transition from AM to SSB, CW to RTTY, general purpose antennas
to dedicated RX antennas, etc.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.