Re: Topband: Good long path opening from VK6 to NA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Good long path opening from VK6 to NA
From: "John Kaufmann" <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 18:14:34 -0500
It was certainly a great opening between VK6 and my QTH (at W1FV).  As Steve
indicated, we had been trying to make a LP QSO for a number of years.  In
the past I had heard him a few times but it was marginal and we were never
able to connect for a two-way.  This time it was easy.

Steve's e-mail indicates his SR was 2114Z.  My sunset was 2130Z, so based on
SS/SR times there was no common darkness between Steve and myself.  In fact,
I'm not sure there is much, if any, common darkness between VK6 and W1 at
any time of year to make LP QSO's, so that helps explain why this path is
not a common occurrence on 160, even though it does occur regularly on 80.
It's even more difficult for other parts of the USA because at this time of
year, W1 land has the earliest sunsets in the country.   I continued to copy
Steve for about 15 minutes after our QSO, meaning the opening lasted about
30 minutes past Steve's SR.

73, John W1FV